Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The very latest from Petaling Jaya

This is day number 11 (if I am not mistaken) in Malaysia's capital, well sort of. I am in PJ actually. Anyways, I have started my training, together with another comrade(not in terms of football) YAM - Yap Aik Meng. It has been smooth sailing and I must say, I am enjoying my time here. However, nothing is perfect and the downside of this is the parking fees imposed here. I've spent a total of RM50 on parking for the last two days! Gosh.

Apart from that, Malay Mail (an ENGLISH newspaper agency) is actually a very nice place to be at. I was expecting all the hoo -hahs that you'll get from the senior reporters there, all the snobbish looks and yes, a very angry looking-foul mouthed-short tempered editor. This was not the case. People there are very friendly, albeit a few, but majority of them are pretty nice..including the editor.

I must say, I look forward to work everyday as I realised, I learn a lot each passing day. You can't learn some of the stuff here by just sitting down in a classroom in college, you have to come and experience it yourself. Things like, putting your nerves (and balls) together to call some big shot people that you runs one of the biggest company or even politicians.

Just recently I've been to my first press conference and it was an eye opening experience. Though I was a little lost in the process and I did lots of mistake writing the news, it is all part of the learning process. That's what I tell myself. I mean, no one in this world have never failed in their life before right? Some of the most successful people have failed. Donald Trump had failed before, he was almost declared bangkrupt. Bill Gates dropped out of college and look where he is now. Robert Downey Jr had a few miserable years, fighting addiction and look at him now, being the rich flying tin man. Tiger Woods failed in his marriage but bagged almost a dozen of blondes (Amazing) . Yea, so what Im trying to say is, to be successful, you have to fail..minus the part about Tiger Woods.

It looks like its gonna be a gloomy start to the year of the Tiger. Thousands of life have been taken away by the ferocity of mother nature. The Haitian tragedy is another wake up call for the power of mother nature and how much destruction it can bring. Thousands are dead and more are grieving for the lost of thier family members. Closer to home, six have lost their life in a mishap. It feels so surreal that things like this could happen so close to us. I guess I do not need to ellaborate on that. It made me think that life is really really fragile and unpredictable. One moment you can be happily sitting side by side with your family, cracking a joke or two, the next day..you realised that they could be gone. Forever. So it is still not too late to appreciate what we have right now.

Perhaps that is the reason why I'm starting to feel a lil home sick right now though before this, I was coping well. All these tragedy made me think of home. I did not actually bid an actual goodbye to my parents, let alone my brothers. Now, looking at all these tragedies (one of the downside about being a journalism) I really really do miss my family. Cheesy. But it's true. I could hear from the phone calls my mom gave me every evening that she misses me and that my dad is worried about me. However, being the boy that was brought up to show less affection towards parents, I was steadfast except for some moments when I really did say "I miss your nagging" to my mum. And my bros, ahh..I miss the sarcastic remarks my brothers will give me about my room, about how they are better than me in basketball and the time we played football games. Yes Ang Sher Lyn, I do miss home now but I'm still coping well. haha.

Another person I would be missing now, and has always been and whom I considered as part of family as well. Yes, the girl that is thousands of miles away from me in a little state of republic called Taiwan. She recently has cleared one of her biggest issue, which involves her identity. I am happy. I truly am. However, I am also sad that she is not gonna be here..until next year September. I dont know about you guys. Holding my fort until now, which is like around five months, is not an easy task. Not at all. Yes, there are friends and dont get me wrong, they are very important as well and part of a reason why I am still looking forward to some days. But I do have to say, ShinRui, she is at another level. I do not doubt friend's importance like I've said before but..they could not give me what she has given me. I am sure you guys would understand what I mean right? I miss times when we go walking around in the mall. I miss times when we watch movies in the cinema. I miss sitting beside you. I miss putting my hands around your shoulder. I miss the feeling of looking forward to meet you. I miss quarreling with you in real life, not skype, as we can make up easily after every fight. Five months is already so tough, to tell you the truth, I do not know whether I have the strength to go on for at least another 19 months. I do not know what would happen in the future, but this is not a giving up statement. Just some thoughts that has been lingering in my head for quite some time.

And yes, KL seems a lil bit more entertaining, having the crazy monkey dude, Ang Sher Lyn here with me. Glad that you are here! =) We gonna make it through this industrial training aite? Stay strong! It seems weird writing this down here as in aproximately 11 hours, I am gonna meet you again and that you stay less than 200m away. Yi-Wen, dont worry. she misses you alot. haha.

Tomorrow, I am gonna go do some investigative reporting! woots! Wish me luck though that I wont get myself into any trouble. haha.

Btw, the late post is due to my tight schedule now that I have to work, clean my stuff, wash and hang my clothes and bla bla bla..you know the drill.

So hopefully I will be able to post up another one tomorrow! Goodnight peepz!

No comments: